[Liverpool] Diaspora

Simon Johnson simon.johnson at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 15:14:52 UTC 2012

> > In that case I don't understand your previous email.  What was the
> "problem" that "geeks" solved for you in the late 90s?

I'm sorry, reading my e-mail back it is ambiguous:

> For me, geeks already solved this problem in the late 90s.

What I'm saying is that the solution to this problem is already a solved
problem. You can do this today with open technologies with previously
created protocols.

My friends and I actually ran this set-up during the early 00s. We all had
our own blogs with RSS and that's how we did things in Widnes. My site
still exists (it's just never hit! :) )

Then Facebook delivered an application that had a much better fit and
finish and everyone went there. Me included, eventually.

Even though the 00s stuff wasn't as good a user it experience, it did
fundamentally work and is more free than tying yourself to a particular
provider. Even the free solutions like Diaspora.