[Liverpool] Story of a flight instructor

Simon Johnson simon.johnson at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 14:29:08 UTC 2012

Hi Everyone,

It might hearten you to hear this story.

I was at Liverpool Airport today chatting with a flight instructor, when
the subject of what I did for a living came up.

I said the usual thing about being a stinking hairy programmer.

He then exclaims that he's rubbish with computers and doesn't like them
much. He said he liked XP but had a horrible time when he upgraded to Vista.

The shocker was that he then switched to *Ubuntu*.

I said, "that's quite a different system to Windows, why did you switch?"

The answer:

   - It was faster.
   - He gets an office package and any other software for free. He likes
   how you can just browse and install software
   - He liked the fact it wasn't centrally controlled by one corporation.

The first two I sort of expected to hear, but the third one really took me
by surprise. I accept I could have been the victim of some clever trolling,
but I doubt it. I think he was genuine.

The message of free software appears to be getting through to people! These
are normal people on the lower rungs of the triangle that are hearing the
message and responding.

Will we get even more converts after Windows 8? Probably - it's an absolute
disaster.

Kind Regards,

Simon Johnson