[Liverpool] Liverpool LUG October meeting - Wed Oct 3rd from 7pm

David Hughes dghughes82 at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 1 13:55:17 UTC 2012

I subscribe to a number of Mailman lists from different sources, and
this appears to be fairly standard behaviour - at the start of every
month I get several emails reminding me of lists that I belong to -
including things like the freebsd-announce list (and they have something
of a reputation for being highly security conscious).

I suspect the rationale of sending out the password in plain text is
that it's reckoned to be of very little use to anyone else; the worst
thing that anyone could do if they intercepted your password for a given
mailing list would be to unsubscribe you, or arrange for you to receive
your messages in daily digests. (Unless you've used the same password
for other accounts. I've always just let the mailman program assign me a
random password.)

Cheers,

David