[Liverpool] A history of Liverpool Linux User Group

Neil Bothwick neil at stfw.net
Wed Sep 5 15:21:10 UTC 2012

On Tue, 04 Sep 2012 22:31:00 +0100, Bob Ham wrote:

> As promised, below is a history of LivLUG.

Thanks for this Bob.

> On 18th of August 2012, the LUG held an official Saturday meeting
> around its stall at OggCamp 2012.  At this meeting, Bob announced that
> he would be stepping down as a volunteer for the LUG and no longer
> attending meetings.  This was followed by an email to the mailing list
> in which Bob stated his reasoning: he was stepping down in protest
> against the LUG's disregard for issues of software freedom.

I take issue with this though. The LUG does not disregard software
freedom, as evidenced by the number of people attending talks by Same
Tuke and Michael Dorrington. The LUG does not have a formal position on
software freedom, but that is not the same thing as disregarding it.

> In the
> humble opinion of the author, this represents the end of the third era
> of Liverpool LUG.

I disagree with that too. The previous two eras ended because those doing
the bulk of the organisation stopped doing so for whatever reasons they
had. By announcing and explaining your leaving, and giving time for a
transition of responsibilities, you haver ensured that there is no reason
for the group to flounder as it has in the past. Thank you for that.

--
Neil Bothwick