[Liverpool] A history of Liverpool Linux User Group

Andrew Bates oscillik at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 18:47:20 UTC 2012

I actually think it's wholly pertinent to discuss it here on the list,
especially when such...delicate things are being put into the 'history' of
the Liverpool Linux User Group. If the group as a whole is being branded as
disregarding software freedoms, then the group as a whole has a right to
voice their opinion on it, and discuss with the instigator.

Bob, you're a cool dude, but I think some of the political stuff going on
lately is a bit...wrong.

I think we're all aware of your own personal stance on things such as
software freedom, open source, proprietary software, etc. And I don't think
anyone on the list or who attends the meetings would begrudge you of having
such a stance - in fact it's quite admirable.

But to make out, publicly, that LivLUG has a 'disregard' for software
freedom is pretty wrong in my view. As has already been mentioned by
others, a Linux User Group is not the same as a Free Software Group. It's
kinda like complaining that the colour black is difficult to see at night...

If LivLUG doesn't have the fundamentalist stance on software freedom as you
do, then I accept that. But the way that history was worded, comes across
as if LivLUG is in the wrong for being what a Linux User Group is.