[Liverpool] Playing 4oD/Demand Five on Linux - solved

Sebastian Arcus s.arcus at open-t.co.uk
Sun Dec 1 17:23:13 UTC 2013

This is something that has been bugging me for a while - since a year or
so ago, I could only play Channel 4/5 (4oD / Demand Five) on one single
Linux machine I have - which also happens to be the slowest I have :-)
None of the others could do it. I seem to recall that some others
mentioned during meetings having problems with this on their machines.

Well, today I donned my google-fu cap, and, fortunately, it turns out
that there is a cure for this. For some obscure (to me) reason, Channel
4 and 5 (and some other online video providers) have converted to using
HAL (through Flash) on Linux a while ago. Since that moment, machines
which don't have HAL can't get past the "buffering" screen. The laptop
which still worked for me happened to have the last version of Slackware
which included HAL.

As HAL is obsolete by current standards and has been dropped by most
distros (yes - even Slackware :-) )  - less and less Linux machines
could play Channel 4 and 5. But HAL can be re-installed even on top of
recent versions of Linux - and it seems there are no ill side-effects.
I've installed HAL on the latest Slackware and now 4oD works a treat.
Please find below instructions for re-installing HAL on Ubuntu (and
derivatives):

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/10/fixing-amazon-prime-streaming-drm-protected-flash-13-10

Hoping the above helps some