[Liverpool] LUG Meeting update - 7pm tonight @ LSC

Dan Lynch dan at danlynch.org
Thu Jan 10 13:16:28 UTC 2013

On 10/01/13 09:45, Neil Bothwick wrote:

>  On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 09:23:39 +0000, Sebastian Arcus wrote:
>>
>>  I should be OK for presentation next month - unless something is
>>> already planned for the LUG meeting.
>>>

>> We have Roger Whittaker from SUSE booked for next month, the month after
>> would be good.
>>

> Has Roger confirmed? You probably told me that before Christmas and I've
forgotten. I knew we had him pencilled in for Feb. Good news.

A quick report on last night. 4 of us turned up. Will, Ben, Tony and
myself. We went through all the computer kit in the corner and worked out
what was worth keeping, then threw out some of the rubbish. Both machines
are now working and have all the peripherals they need.

They're running Ubuntu 10.04 and we discussed upgrades. My worry with
moving to standard 12.04 would be Unity, the complete change of interface
for users and the amount of resources it needs. They're old P4 machines and
don't have amazing graphics cards. According to my research 10.04 LTS
support stops in April this year. With 12.04 the desktop support cycle was
extended to 5 years, so it'll get updates till 2017. This makes a good
proposition for us. So perhaps installing 12.04 with an alternative desktop
or using a version of Mint based on it would be good. I'm open to
suggestions. The current interface is Gnome 2. So Gnome 3, KDE, Unity or
even XFCE will involve users learning something new. That's always the
battle.

I propose to head down there one Saturday afternoon and spend a bit longer
sorting things out. I'll let you know more concrete plans nearer the time
if anyone wants to join me.

Thanks to all who came along last night, we'll see the rest of you next
month I hope. Best wishes :)