[Liverpool] LUG Meeting update - 7pm tonight @ LSC

Neil Bothwick neil at stfw.net
Mon Jan 14 10:36:16 UTC 2013

On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 13:16:20 +0000, Dan Lynch wrote:

> >> We have Roger Whittaker from SUSE booked for next month, the month
> >> after would be good.
> >>

> > Has Roger confirmed? You probably told me that before Christmas and
> > I've forgotten. I knew we had him pencilled in for Feb. Good news.

Yes, he confirmed last week.

> They're running Ubuntu 10.04 and we discussed upgrades. My worry with
> moving to standard 12.04 would be Unity, the complete change of
> interface for users and the amount of resources it needs. They're old
> P4 machines and don't have amazing graphics cards. According to my
> research 10.04 LTS support stops in April this year. With 12.04 the
> desktop support cycle was extended to 5 years, so it'll get updates
> till 2017. This makes a good proposition for us. So perhaps installing
> 12.04 with an alternative desktop or using a version of Mint based on
> it would be good. I'm open to suggestions. The current interface is
> Gnome 2. So Gnome 3, KDE, Unity or even XFCE will involve users
> learning something new. That's always the battle.

I'd say XFCE or LXDE would involve the least change from the GNOME2
experience, and be easy on the hardware. I rather like LXDE but XFCE is a
bit more Gnome-like and has a larger support base. That probably makes it
the best choice for the long term.

--
Neil Bothwick

Religious error: (A)tone, (R)epent, (I)mmolate?