[Liverpool] Liverpool Digest, Vol 387, Issue 1

Sebastian Arcus shop at open-t.co.uk
Tue Oct 1 10:46:25 UTC 2013

On 30/09/13 23:12, animation animation wrote:
> The talk sounds good. How hard is an Arduino to programme if you do not
> know any C++?

I'll attempt to answer that one, although I believe there are others
lurking this list who know way more about Arduino than I do.

Arduino is generally aimed at people who are less computer/programming
trained - artists, makers etc. Thus the people behind Arduino seem to
have gone to lengths to make the whole thing as accessible as possible.
I believe that's why they don't even say officially that it uses C/C++ -
that might scare people away!

In many ways, it is a lot easier to get started than programming in a
"proper" C/C++ environment. You have a little software written in Java
(called Arduino - same as the board) - with few simple controls to check
the code and upload it to the board. You can start immediately with one
or two lines of code - nothing else required to get things moving.

The beauty of it is that, although the first steps are simple, you are
not tied down by the limitations in the interface. There are other
libraries which can be called from within the software to add
sophisticated functionality. I believe there are some people out there
who even load alternate boot-loaders in the Arduino ICU, or even use
some other software to compile/upload code. So there are plenty of
possibilities out there to keep expanding, once you get going. But to
get started, it is as easy as buying a board, plugging the usb cable in
and installing the Arduino software (which is available for Windows,
Linux and OSX).

> Sebastian's last talk was excellent. Able to come in and talk about and
> show OpenStreetMap in the level he did. Big well done.

Thank you. I aim to please :-)