[Liverpool] Potential Venue Change For Future Meetings

Dan Lynch dan at danlynch.org
Mon Apr 6 15:40:39 UTC 2015

Hello all,

Thanks for coming along last week if you did, it was a bumper turnout
despite the lack of a talk. Very impressive :)

I have a little bit of LUG business I wanted to discuss with you all. As
many of you know we've been meeting in the basement of LSC for about 5
or 6 years now. They've always been very good to us and in the past
we've helped with computer support and maintenance in return. More
recently as support requests have dried up we've made small cash
donations in return for using the room. That's all well and good.

However, in recent months the prospect of finding another venue that
might suit us better has been raised. I have spoken with the organisers
at DoES Liverpool, a hacker space and co-working establishment on
Hanover St. Many of you know and frequent it. They have the first Weds
of the month free and are willing to accommodate us.

See more about them here - http://doesliverpool.com/

The advantages to this as I see them are:

1. The chance to join an already thriving community where other tech
groups meet. Even do some cross pollination maybe.

2. The building has a reception, good access and a working lift. Much
more friendly to those with accessibility needs. Something I'm sure we
all support. It also means we won't ever be stuck outside waiting for
someone to come along with a key again.

3. There's a full workshop with 3D printers, laser cutters and more
should we want to run a hack session. We'd have to pay for materials and
perhaps workshop hire but it's an option.

4. Decent wifi. I don't need to say any more about that one.

5. Cleaner surroundings, if that bothers anyone. Their meeting room is
very nice.

I'll stop before this email goes on far too long. So, thoughts? Do we
want to move? I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks,