[Liverpool] Potential Venue Change For Future Meetings

Dan Lynch dan at danlynch.org
Tue Apr 7 19:59:45 UTC 2015

Good questions Barry, most of them have been answered but I'll do so
again below for the sake of completeness. Scroll on :)

On 07/04/15 13:01, animation animation wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Do you know how much the room is to hire? Some months are not that well
> attended.

It's free because we're a community group who doesn't charge for
membership or meetings. They also seem keen to have us as part of their
community.

> Parking nearby?

Duke St pay and display bays are free after 6pm as are many others
nearby. There's also a Q Park multi-storey next door by the Novotel.
I've no idea how expensive it is but that's open 24hrs.

> Pubs nearby?

Yep there's a good one on the corner of Duke St and Hannover St right
below DoES. It's called The Hub and while it looks pricey from outside
it actually turns out to be cheaper than Shipping Forecast for drinks. I
checked that personally hehe. Most of the groups in DoES use it after
meetings or events. It's also not that far from the Shipping Forecast,
only 5 minutes walk. So there's nothing to stop us continuing to go
there if people prefer.

> End of an era?

To an extent it is but we didn't always meet in LSC anyway. LivLUG
starting in around 2002-03 and originally met in the offices of Blue
Fountain at the Liver Buildings. We've met in many other locations
since. It was at FACT when I joined in 2008. We've been at LSC since
about 2010 so it probably is the longest serving venue that's for sure.

> Is a place at DoES available?

Yep, I also get the feeling they've been keeping the first Weds of the
month free in the hope we'd eventually join. The organisers did ask me
about it 2 or 3 years ago when DoES opened.

> Will meetings remain on a first Wednesday of the month?

Yep. See previous answer.

> Does Sonic the Hedgehog ever feel blue?

I dunno, I was always more of a Nintendo kid but I can tell you Mario
never feels blue ;-)

Perhaps we should discuss it next month as Will suggested. I just
thought it may be easier to do that on the list rather than in the venue
we're talking about leaving. That could be awkward.

For what it's worth I don't think LSC will be that bothered. At the
moment they seem to feel they're doing us a favour and usually someone
has to come down specifically to open up for us. I suspect they won't
miss that part. The computer support arrangement we had has fallen by
the way side. I do want to make clear to them if we move that we'll
still happily help them out with technical stuff. Speaking for myself
that is at least.

In the past 5 years we've set up those computers they use, one of which
is always unplugged, and I've been called down once on a Saturday to fix
a printer. That's it. They either don't have any technical problems or
don't feel they can ask us.

Right, another rambling email must end. Any more thoughts on all this
anyone?