[Liverpool] Next meeting

Sebastian Arcus s.arcus at open-t.co.uk
Sun May 1 08:29:01 UTC 2016

On 29/04/16 16:23, animation animation wrote:

> Can't attend in May but I have a laptop I am struggling to get Linux
> on. Just freezes during installation. Known problem. Forums have
> suggested that it needs a BIOS update. No update available. Swap Mint
> 17.3 for Windows 10. Does anyone have help, suggestions or experience.

I've had a quick look, and the reports suggest the same thing you found.
Trying to change the BIOS versions (either upgrade or downgrade) might
do it - and some people seem to suggest that the BIOS from other lines
(i.e. Acer E5) might work on it - but messing about with BIOS versions
is always a risky business. According to the following thread, you
should be able to use the bios from the E5-573G model - several people
apparently have done it and it worked out:

http://community.acer.com/t5/Legacy-Laptops-and-Netbooks/BIOS-F5-571-UEFI-Linux-Ubuntu/m-p/398200#U398200