[Liverpool] ***UNCHECKED*** Email in a box

Alex J Lennon ajlennon at dynamicdevices.co.uk
Tue Jul 11 16:10:08 UTC 2017

On 11/07/17 15:14, jn1057 via Liverpool wrote:
> Just as I thought, the livlug group are quick to respond and provide
> very useful advice! Many thanks.
>
> Again though Neil, I think you sent two emails relating to my query
> but one of them was missing the body of the email!  We think that is
> due to my email client on my Samsung phone.
>
> Email in a box seems to be a very basic generic system intended to be
> installed onto a server Farm rented server. Doing that seems reduce
> the problems of being blacklisted due to being on a home ip address.
>  Email in a box when installed, hijacks the entire pc and it seems
> locks it down so it is the only service on that pc.
>
> Email in a box own docs suggests that there are other more
> sophisticated projects that could be tried, iRedMail being one of them.
>
> As someone entirely new to this idea of "re decentralisation" of
> Internet services I'm intrigued, bewildered yet keen to learn how to
> implement my own email hosting system

Speaking as somebody who has run his own email, web. and other servers
for many, many years, as I'm sure is true of many from LivLig and the
DoES community, I can't think of a more fun way to get started than
using a co-located Raspberry Pi for your email server:

e.g. https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-colocation

Cheers,

Alex