[Liverpool] Setting up a private email server. .. part 36!

paul at paulfurley.com paul at paulfurley.com
Tue Jul 18 19:08:50 UTC 2017

Good progress! :D

 Highly recommend Let's Encrypt - it's from a non-profit called   Internet Security Research Group   supported/started by the internet giants and others. Most importantly they simplified everything with automation and making it free- you typically so some config the first time then do cetificate renewal in a cronjob.

You'll need to do SSL/TLS on your SMTP so other mailservers can connect to you encrypted before delivering your mail. I imagine you'll want to do the same for your IMAP service too :)

I believe you can get a certificate for the web service at eg https://mail.example.com then use the same cert for smtp://mail.example.com and imap://mail.example.com

PGP: you can set that up later, it runs in your email client so it's totally separate from the mailserver.

Paul