[Liverpool] SMTP presentation follow-up - Junk Mail Reporting Programme

Paul Furley paul at paulfurley.com
Thu Sep 21 10:45:33 UTC 2017

Thanks for that Sebastian.

Furthermore, it looks like this was one of a number of informal
agreements between hosts to do this sort of 'feedback loop' - then it
got somewhat standardised in the following RFC:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6449

'Complaint Feedback Loop Operational Recommendations'

Relevant bit:

"

   The intent of a Complaint Feedback Loop is to provide Feedback
   Consumers with information necessary to mitigate Spam or the
   perception of Spam.  Thus, feedback was originally only offered to
   mailbox, access, and network providers -- in other words, to ISPs --   who would use the feedback to identify network compromises and
   fraudulent accounts or to notify their downstream customer that there   may be a problem.

   Senders of bulk, transactional, social, or other types of email can
   also use this feedback to adjust their mailing practices, using Spam   Complaints as an indicator of whether the Recipient wishes to
   continue receiving email.  Common reactions often include refining
   opt-in practices, mailing frequency, list management, message
   content, and other measures.  Over time, this has become the Feedback   Consumer use case most often discussed at MAAWG meetings and other
   industry events -- but readers are cautioned that it is not the sole   use for feedback.
"

Cheers,

Paul

--