[Liverpool] Alternative browser suggestions

Sebastian Arcus s.arcus at open-t.co.uk
Tue Mar 27 15:14:41 UTC 2018

On 27/03/18 11:47, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 09:15:32 +0100, Sebastian Arcus via Liverpool wrote:
>
>> I hope we are all well. I realise this could be a slightly contentious
>> issue, and might just start the next holy war - so please try and keep
>> the replies nice and steady! (if there will be any replies, that is) :-)
>>
>> I am getting a little bit fed-up with Firefox being a bit of a pig at
>> devouring memory - and I was thinking of trying some other browser. I'm
>> not after anything particularly radical - just something a bit slimmer,
>> but still with a pretty complete modern feature set, to support
>> whatever the web throws at us these days.
>
> I normally use Chromium, which generally uses more memory than Firefox
> because it uses a separate process for each tab.

Brave seems to be doing the same thing - which makes sense as it is
based on Chromium. But as long as it stays responsive, frankly I can
cope with the memory usage - as long as it doesn't go off the charts.

> But recently I've been
> trying Qupzilla, which seems nice and light and fast. It uses QtWebEngne
> (the same as cutebrowser) so it is well supported and handles some sites
> better than Chromium.

I've just installed Qupzilla, but not much luck there I'm afraid. When I
started it, it appears to be working, but the window flickers, almost
like the monitor has gone wrong. When started off the command line, it
turns out that it is crashing with stack traces continuously. Another
one to add to the long list of things to troubleshoot after the end of
times :-(

> Or you could use IE6 with  Wine ;-)

Thank you for that suggestion - I will consider it carefully ;-)