[Liverpool] Cheap x86 mini-pc with multiple nic's

Sebastian Arcus s.arcus at open-t.co.uk
Sun Feb 14 22:22:35 UTC 2021

On 14/02/21 21:37, junk email account wrote:
> Hi,
> While I've not got experience of these specific models, I do have some
> experience along the lines of what you are trying to do.
> My set up was using a fairly low powered machine running multiple
> services and devices - and the difficulty I had was effectively I was
> being over demanding of what the hardware was capable of supporting. Yes
> there can be additional heat dissipation and IRQ s can be prioritised
> etc but even so each machine will have an upper limit of what it is able
> to do.
> For example, I think I remember that in theory the specification of USB
> means it is possible to daisy chain and cascade up to 127 devices from a
> single port. Assuming it is possible to provide power to them, that
> single port could then access 127 * 18Tb hard drives. Yes they might be
> addressed by the machine but I'd hate to imagine how that machine would
> cope in copying files from one hard drive to another!

Hi - and thank you for the reply. It is true that any machine has a
limit - but I suppose it depends on what tasks it is supposed to
perform. For about 5 years I ran an Atom mini-ITX board doing the above
and more - including Dovecot and Exim for email and Asterisk for voip -
and it has managed fine. The tasks I mentioned - iptables firewall,
openvpn endpoint, routing, QoS with tc - all for just a few clients -
they are all fairly undemanding. Even a router, with a much slower
processor, can just about manage it. For my Atom server, the most
demanding task was ClamAV scanning emails. It really needed a lot of ram
to work properly - about 2GB, and just starting clamd could take close
to 5 minutes. Still, it did manage even that. The machines above have
even faster processors than my old Atom, so I would guess it should be
fine in this respect.