[Liverpool] OpenVPN with p2p traffic?

Sebastian Arcus s.arcus at open-t.co.uk
Tue Sep 21 12:15:07 UTC 2021

Maybe a topic to chat about at one of the future meetings. I am looking
for an open source vpn software which can send vpn traffic between
clients directly - without all the traffic flowing through the server.
Ideally the software should:

1. Have a server involved
2. The server is on a static public IP with open port(s) to the internet
3. The server helps clients find each other
4. The server might control the authentication between clients and do
the initial connection setup
5. But then, the rest of the traffic should flow directly from client to
client
6. The clients don't need to be on public and/or static IP's, and don't
need ports open to the internet
7. Both Windows and Linux support is needed at client end. Android and
iPhones would be a bonus, but not essential.

The idea would be for the bandwidth between clients not to be restricted
by the speed of the connection of the server to the internet - as the
bulk of the traffic would be flowing directly from client to client.

This is the model ZeroTier uses - but ZeroTier started as
semi-opensource and now it has become even more restrictive and unusable
- they even disallowed commercial usage for self hosted controllers.

I've looked into it but I don't think there is a way to make OpenVPN or
WireGuard work as per above. They would be my preferred options. FreeLAN
appears promising, but there seems to be almost no usable documentation.