[Liverpool] Starlink extra info - re: registered address, cell size etc.

Sebastian Arcus s.arcus at open-t.co.uk
Thu Feb 3 16:27:59 UTC 2022

I've managed to find some extra info from a couple who travel in a 4x4
motorhome (currently) around the US using a Starlink dish:

https://www.tuckstruck.net/truck-and-kit/geekery/starlink-for-overlanders/

Lots of interesting info on that page. Among them:

1. The size of a Starlink "cell" for the purposes of the service
location seems to be about 35km x 35km - so approximately 17.5 km in
each direction from the registered service address.

2. If you stray away from this area without updating the service
address, apparently the dish used to refuses to play ball, but after
recent software updates, now it keeps on working, but the speed is
slower and slower as you move away.

3. It seems that the dish tries to connect to specific satellites based
on where it thinks it is - and that is why the speed degrades as it
moves away from the registered address.

4. Even when Starlink is officially available for a country, it doesn't
cover all of it. For example the guys above have to "hunt" around for
available cells when they are travelling around Canada - by trying to
change their service address at Starlink.com and seeing if that address
shows as available for service.

At my client, which is in Mossley Hill, from the off, without updating
the service address, I got about 100-150mbs. I then tried to update the
service address, and it says "this location is unavailable at the
moment". I tried other random addresses in Liverpool and North Wirral -
and they are all unavailable. Then I tried to go down the Wirral
peninsula - to get closer to south Liverpool in a straight line - and it
allowed me to pick an address in Port Sunlight. Most South Wirral seems
to be covered actually. After doing this, the speed almost immediately
went up to over 200mbs, but after about 10 minutes settles around 160mbs.

Sorry for the long post - I though some people might be interested in
the above.