[Lust] Any more meetings planned

Malcolm Smith lists at thesmith.org.uk
Tue Jun 9 11:34:25 UTC 2009

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 03:38:37PM +0100, Peter wrote:
> Hello!
>
> My names Peter, and I've been doing a search on google to see if there
> is a LUG near me.

Welcome to what until just recently was the quietest mailing list on the
internet! We used to measure our monthly traffic in bytes, not MB.

http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/lust/

> A quick intro about me.
> I'm a driving instructor by trade, but I've been playing with Linux for
> the past couple of years. I'm not an expert, but a competent user. I am
> hoping to build a practice studio for musicians, and I will be
> en-devouring to use Linux for any recordings that I do.

Good stuff. Here's what I use for music:

http://www.64studio.com/

...which is based on Debian, although the new version 3.0 will be based on
Ubuntu (it's currently still in Beta to iron out the last few bugs).

> Trying to spread the word about Linux to those I meet at Church, but it's
> an uphill battle!
>
> Get most of my Linux info from various podcasts I listen too... wonder
> if others do the same?

I know what you mean about an uphill battle - it's bizarre that just because
something is zero cost, people think it's no good! It's no use forcing things
down people's throats, but some good publicity always works well; check out
this podcast which is informative for non-Linux users:

http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/herts/2009-June/001426.html

Regards
--
Malcolm