[Malvern] LUG Tuesday

Greg Wright malvern@mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Aug 23 12:08:01 2002

Tel: 01684 588452

[Announce] IMPORTANT: Mailing List Change
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 09:41:08 +0100
From: "Mark Lewis" <mark@lug.org.uk>
To: announce@mailman.lug.org.uk
Reply to: mark@lug.org.uk

Dear LUG.ORG.UK List Member,

This is an important announcement.

My name is Mark Lewis and I, alongside a small team of Admins run the
lug.org.uk server.

I am taking the opportunity to send this email to every list member to
advise of a change that happened last night.

As a little background, the present server was donated by a company calle=
Transtec, though we have a new and higher specification machine donated b=
a company called Xinit Systems. What we are trying to do is migrate the
services from the Transtec machine to the new Xinit machine. The reason f=
or
this has it's obvious benefits including performance and newer services.

One of the service benefits is the introduction of Mailman
(http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman.html) as the Mailing List
Manager on Xinit to replace Majordomo on Transtec, which has been a reque=
st
by many List Managers for many moons now. Alas and to this end, we took t=
he
bulls by the horns and migrated things last night.

As part of this process you should have received an email from Mailman
giving posting instructions for your subscribed list(s), a password and a
URL for the web interface. This password is personal to you and allows yo=
as a list member to configure your preferences via the web interface and
unless your List Manager has switched it off, you will get confirmation o=
this password from Mailman at the end of each month.

You may find a full listing of Mailman lists on the LUG server at
http://mailman.lug.org.uk/mailman/listinfo/

The other important fact to note is based upon posting. Under Majordomo y=
ou
were posting to $listsname@lists.lug.org.uk while from now and under
Mailman, you will need to use the syntax $listname@mailman.lug.org.uk (no=
te
'lists' is now 'mailman'). We have updated Domain Name Services and the M=
TA
to reflect this, but you may experience problems in the interim if the
mailman.lug.org.uk hostname is not used.

Thank you for reading this mail and I hope you as a list member find the
features of Mailman a benefit.

One last thing before I go, other services will be changed shortly as wel=
l.
So, if you find anything spurious happening, please inform your List
Manager or LUG Master who can escalate to the Admin team.

Kind regards,
Mark