[Malvern] Re: Linux printers.

Steve Cashmore steve at cashmore.me.uk
Tue Apr 6 21:08:44 BST 2004

At 16:34 05/04/2004 +0100, you wrote:
>>At 09:41 02/04/2004 +0100, you wrote:
>>>I tried "linuxprinting.org"  and came up with HP  lj1200  (to replace my
>>>clapped out lj1100).
>>>
>>>Adverts list the lj1220.   Anyone know how difference ?
>>>
>>>Geoff.
>>
>>That of course is a multifunction device (scanner included).  If you just
>>want laser printing consider the HP 1300N, Ethernet, USB & Parallel,
>>includes Postscript compatible interpreter.  Not an industrial workhorse,
>>more of a personal printer that's network ready.  The 2300dn is a heavier
>>duty model...
>>--
>>Steve

>Hi Steve,
>
>Can you point me to the best place to follow up your remarks concerning
>Linux and Postscript ?
>I guess that Ghostscript is the Open Source equivalent.
>
>There are a number of ways to do printing on Linux.  LPR, CUPS, Foomatic,
>Ghostscript.
>
>Which ones are mutually exclusive alternatives, and which ones work together
>?
>
>Oh, I should have sent this to the List.  Can you please share your reply
>with the LUG.
>See you Tuesday night ?  Or otherwise two-weeks on Wednesday !
>
>Best regards
>
>Geoff.

Sorry Geoff, I just hit reply and forgot to redirect to the group.

I'm no Linux printing guru and just use either LPD or CUPS as my printing
system.  I prefer Postscript devices as that is at least some kind of
standard independent of manufacturer.  People have produced drivers that
will handle some version of PCL or one of the several other manufacturer
specific printer control languages, but in my experience Postscript devices
need the least amount of fettling on Unix machines.  Most of my experience
with printing and Linux is by way of configuring Linux hosted servers
providing file, mail, and printing services to Windows clients.  Most of my
Linux machines have command line interfaces and don't run 'X' services.  My
printing directly from Linux is usually limited to reports and debugging
traces.
Those occasions when I HAVE needed full graphical prints have been most
successful using Postscript devices.

I'm afraid I don't know of any single document that summarises all of the
various different Linux printing methods, but the usual HowTos and the
Linux Documentation Project are good starting points.

With either LPD or CUPS you can create several different printers each with
their own stream filters to handle particular data formats.  Or you can try
to make single stream intelligent handling with a scripted
solution.  Ghostscript may indeed be used as one of these filters to
generate Postscript output.

Perhaps Greg can supply more detailed pointers - his experience is greater
and more recent, since retirement most of my Linux software development has
stopped and other things have taken over :-) ...

Not sure about Tuesday night, I expect to be in Slough and may not return
in time,

Regards,

--
Steve