[Malvern] Knoppix 3.6

Steve Cashmore steve at cashmore.me.uk
Sun Aug 29 23:25:59 BST 2004

Hi All,

I tried Knoppix 3.6 last night and have a problem with getting a decent
framebuffer device under a Radeon 8500 card on a 1Gb system.  Despite
trying to invoke the radeonfb at boot time it fails, and I'm left with an
unsatisfactory vesafb framebuffer device.  A subsequent attempt to
'modprobe radeonfb' fails with 'no such device.'

The same invocation sequence works OK on the same hardware under Redhat
7.3.  Well, using 'radeon' rather than 'radeonfb' since it's a Linux 2.4
version.  Neither option works under Knoppix 3.6.

I know there's been a long standing issue where the radeonfb device tries
to allocate the entire 128Mb card window beneath the 1Gb threshold, but the
usual fix for that is to tell the kernel to only use 840Mb of memory.  This
leaves enough space for the entire graphics card memory to be
allocated.  It doesn't help in this instance.

So - has anyone had any success with the radeonfb framebuffer device under
Knoppix?  (with or without 1Gb system RAM)

Thanks in advance,
--
Steve