[Malvern] American Keyboard coding.

andy at dragonfly.demon.co.uk andy at dragonfly.demon.co.uk
Sat Jan 24 20:16:08 GMT 2004

  Geoff> I have my Knoppix working fine.

  Geoff> However, the (German) developers have given only one choice of English
  Geoff> keyboard......  American.

  Geoff> While I could live with this, I would prefer to make it British
  Geoff> English, just like my Debian Woody.

  Geoff> I can muck about experimenting until I crack this one, and learn more
  Geoff> in the process.... alternatively, what's the better/quicker way ?

Geoff,

My slackware box does this by issuing the command:

/usr/bin/loadkeys uk.map

The keymaps are stored in: /usr/share/kbd/keymaps/

Don't know if knoppix is the same or not?

In X this is achieved using the line:

Option       "XkbLayout" "uk"

in InputDevice section of the XF86Config file.

Hope this helps

l8z

andy

GnuPG Key available on request
"The body is like a well oiled machine. Take away a
vital fuel like alcohol and anything could happen."