[Malvern] Setting up network cards.

Geoff Bagley geoff.bagley at btinternet.com
Mon Jul 19 09:55:07 BST 2004

Phil Ironside wrote:

>>However,  I cannot unzip  the file.
>>
>>I tried  tar  -xvvzf  dlkfet-4.2.4.tar.gz  with no joy.
>>
>>Where am I going wrong ?

There was an error in the file-name.  Should be 4.24  NOT 4.2.4  !
I copied the file on to a floppy, and then un-tarred it from there.

>You need to  gunzip it first Geoff:
>
>gunzip  dlkfet-4.2.4.tar.gz

It seems that the "z"  in  -xvvzf  causes the unzip to happen.
Don't know why there has to be  two "v"s though.  I copied it from the
man page.

>then tar -xvf dlkfet-4.2.4.tar

Thanks for that.  I did eventually manage to unzip and un-tar the file.
I now have all the files waiting to be compiled,  but haven't found out yet
whether it then goes into the kernel, or whether  it will form an
external driver
file  in some other directory.  I keep advancing in small steps !

See you Wednesday.

Geoff