[Malvern] Connecting Equipment

Andrew McKenzie a_j_mckenzie at hotmail.com
Fri May 21 14:11:04 BST 2004

>The scenario is if you have 2 pieces of quipment running at different
>clock speeds but need to talk to one another how is it done?  I assume
>that the interface between the, say PC and LAN, has an input and output
>buffer that collates the data until the other side can pick the
>information up.  Is this right?

>From what i remember of my a-level computing this is what happens in it's
most simple state. There is a i/o buffer (usually fifo) that hols data until
called.

>Does this also work on a mother board where you have the processor
>running at G Hz speeds and the data bus running at M Hz speeds?

Wouldn't see why not, there would need to be a buffer holding data untill a
free clock cycle appeared.....

>Lastly, if you have a scenario of 2 detached houses with a cable linking
>both, which is used for telephony, are there any cards available which
>allows the PCs to talk together by using the spare bandwidth of the
>cable - similar to the principles used in ADSL?

Not as far as i am aware, i know ADSL is controled at the exchange, so you
might need to have a mighty ££££££ bit of kit to do it. You would be better
off getting those wireless networking kits that run through the mains....

Andy