[Malvern] Warwalking - a simple cludge

Jonathan Melhuish jon at netacclaim.co.uk
Sun May 30 23:31:35 BST 2004

On the basis that my card seems to switch to whichever AP has the strongest
signal, a simple "open access point monitor" is simply an audible ping:

ping -a mywebserver

I had to "apt-get iputils-ping" in order to get the -a switch, but it seems to
work reasonably well.  The bizzare problem I have, though is that when I shut
the screen of my Dell CSx, the speaker volume setting becomes *really* quiet.
The only easy way around it that I could see was to do:

echo "aumix -p80" > command.txt
at -f command.txt +1 minute

And then close the screen and wait.  A bit shoddy, but has anyone got any
alternative ideas?

I'll sling my laptop in my rucksack tommorow, don my earphone and go
"warwalking"... 8-)

Cheers,

Jon