[Malvern] Ubuntu CDs update

Guy Inchbald guy at steelpillow.com
Fri Nov 26 22:45:42 GMT 2004

In message <1101468596.10093.13.camel at laptop.dragonfly.home>, Andy
Lowton <andy at dragonfly.demon.co.uk> writes
 >Hi Guys,
 >
 >I've seen a lot of mail about this Ubuntu and finally got round to
 >looking it up. Their web site doesn't really sell it very well so can
 >someone tell me what all the fuss is about?
 >
 >Do I need to consider moving from Gentoo or is it just yet another linux
 >distribution?

Ubuntu aims to complement Debian by remedying some of its "weak" points
(in the eyes of some users):

An easy to use, reliable installer. Still character-based, but claimed
to need a lot less tech-savvy than debian and on a par with many
graphical installers.

GNOME-only desktop by default (KDE is an option for the user who
insists, and can be installed from the Ubuntu online repository). This
is a love-it-or-hate-it feature. I love it.

Aimed to provide a newbie-friendly first experience, rather than the
"go-and-get-hacking" perception of debian.

High-sounding ideals about co-operation and helping the Third World. No
corporate sell-outs to Novell here.

On co-operation, Ubuntu has (amicably, they claim) pinched several
Debian developers, and aims to make its code available to debian for
folding back into the main source tree.

So Ubuntu will always be the pretty face, and debian the nuts'n'bolts
option.

Is that enough yet?

Cheers,
Guy