[Malvern] Starting X server .

Geoff Bagley geoff.bagley at btinternet.com
Sun Feb 6 16:59:21 GMT 2005

Hi there,  and thanks for replies.

Having stated the problem in general terms,  here we go with the details.

I log on as user  geoff with the user password.
The host name is "tren" ,
( The Welsh name for the river Tern in Shropshire).

geoff at tren:~$
geoff at tren:~$ startx
Using authority file /home/geoff/.Xauthority
Writing authority file /home/geoff/.Xauthority
Using authority file /home/geoff/.Xauthority
Writing authority file /home/geoff/.Xauthority

X:  unable to open wrapper config file /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config
X:  user not authorized to run the X server, aborting
giving up.
xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): unable to connect to X server.
xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.
geoff at tren:~$

The above is the precise history.  I guess you may deduce why I didn't
present the whole gory details initially.

You are right about my sloppy use of terminology !   Mea culpa.  I will try
to do better !

I am doing this mail from a different machine  ("gwy") in order  to copy
the display of "tren"  precisely.

Best regards to the group,  and thanks to those showing an interest.

Geoff.