[Malvern] CUPS printing.

Geoff Bagley geoff.bagley at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 8 20:49:44 GMT 2005

Chris Eilbeck wrote:

>You shouldn't have to.  Just run basic LPR or some other print system
>which'll do what you want.  All of them will let you run whatever print
>filters you need to get postscript out of your printer.
>

>Why don't you just ditch CUPS?
>
>Chris

Hi Chris.
It might come to that.   The intention of CUPS is to be able to use
a wide variety of printers.   But I don't HAVE a wide variety of printers.
CUPS is  postscript friendly.  In fact everything (I think)  gets converted
to Postscript before  getting printed.
If I put a bit of extra RAM into my HP Laserjet  lj1300  I could use the
internal PS interpreter,  and get a bit of extra speed,  but I don;t see
that
it would be  worthwhile.

Thanks for the  post.  I'll have to think this one through.

Best regards,  and see you all on the 16th. at my place.
( Pizza,  Apple-cake,  soft drinks etc.)

Geoff.