[Malvern] Bash script..

Chris Eilbeck chris at hyperspace.org.uk
Sat Jun 4 22:57:28 BST 2005

On Sat, Jun 04, 2005 at 10:33:02PM +0100, Robin Wilson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I haven't yet learnt how to write bash scripts - althought it is on my to
> do list. At the moment though, I need to write a bash script that, when
> given a directory as a command line arguement, will:
> * Rename all files in that directory from filename.JPG to filename.jpg
> (leaving the filename bit the same, just making the JPG in small letters -
> I'm sure this can be done via RegExps)
> * Create a file called 'description' in that directory containing a list of
> all the filenames in that directory then a comma and then the filename
> again... eg:
>    filename1.jpg, filename1.jpg
>    filename2.jpg, filename2.jpg
>
> Is this possible? and would someone be able to write me a script to do that?

#!/bin/csh

foreach i ( `ls *.JPG | sed s/\.JPG//` )
	mv -f $i.JPG $i.jpg
end

echo >description

foreach i ( * )
	echo "$i, $i" >>description
end

Dunno how that translates into bash or if it's the most efficient way of
doing the job but it should work on the current directory.  Of course, to
recurse a tree you can just use find and the -exec option to call the
script.

Chris Eilbeck
Tripoli UK Member #9527                                          LSMR