[Malvern] Latest news.

Geoff Bagley geoff.bagley at btinternet.com
Mon Mar 7 11:26:29 GMT 2005

On Monday 07 March 2005 10:54 am, Steve Cashmore wrote:
> At 22:16 06/03/2005 +0000, Geoff Bagley wrote:
> >Does anyone have experience in setting up either LILO or GRUB ?

Thanks to Keith and Steve for replies.

I eventually got rid of Windows 98 on /dev/hda  which was dual-booted with
Sarge on /dev/hdb.    Both drives are 20GB.

I installed Ubuntu 5.04  which used GRUB,  played with it for two days,  and
then decided to go back to Debian,  with Woody on /hda  and Sarge on /hdb for
the time being.

By now, GRUB had obliterated LILO.

I have re-installed LILO on the main boot sector of /hda,  but at present,  I
can only start up Woody.

Not a critical  problem,  because I have a boot floppy for the other drive.

When I try to add  the  alternative Sarge to lilo.conf,  lilo complains that
/dev/hdb1 "doesn't have a valid boot signature."

According to cfdisk it does !

Where am I fooling myself ?

I am still on  the learning curve for this one.  I eventually decided to
stick with LILO rather than go back to GRUB.  I have it working OK for single
booting Woody.

Best wishes,

Geoff.