[Malvern] Old machines.

Geoff Bagley geoff.bagley at btinternet.com
Sat Mar 12 16:13:25 GMT 2005

I have a couple of old machines here, both 486s,  and both having OLD BIOSs
which cannot boot from the CDROM.  (Only  from the floppy or the hard drive),

I have been wondering how to get a working  Debian onto them.  Perhaps by
removing the hard-drive,  and installing it on another machine,  and then
returning it  ready loaded,  or perhaps by getting a cut-down Linux kernel
into a floppy,  and booting from that.

I have put a network card into the one machine, hoping to  down - load the
rest,  but that supposes that I can get the card (A DLink  DFE-530TX) to work.
That card has a bad reputation I have read.

By the way, Evesham no longer will supply bits and pieces.  They are only
interested in supplying complete systems to the public.  Businesses can order
things.  Otherwise get it over the internet "from our Web Site".

Best regards.

Geoff.