[Malvern] FW: bending

Richard Forster rick at forster.uklinux.net
Thu Aug 17 18:33:58 BST 2006

Steve Cashmore wrote:

> I can trace a series of spam directly to this mail list.  I have changed
> the address I use for this group a couple of times and each time shortly
> thereafter I get the same spam sent to all the addresses I have used on
> here but not to any other addresses.  These addresses are never used
> anywhere else.

Excellent point. Though by 'via this list' I meant sent to this list and
hence onto me, which is rather different to 'harvested from public
records pertaining to this list'.

Phil, is there any way to change the archive pages to remove the fairly
obvious "name at domain" email shown at the top here:

http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/malvern/2006-August/001336.html

Would getting rid of it altogether be possible/agreeable to the list?

Geoff (and others). In your recent email client evaluations did you find
one that can seamlessly let you use multiple accounts. I don't mean
multiple email servers, Thunderbird can do that now. I mean to change
things like the name and reply-to details etc for dealing with one
mailing list and make them different when dealing with another, all
through the same server(s).
So I would send to the malvern lug list as, say,
ricks_mlug_address at domain.whatever
but send to some other friends as
ricks_account_he_uses_with_friends at domain.whatever
and of course with amazon I'd use
amazon at domain.whatever    (you get the idea)

where domain.whatever in this case is the same, I know I can go in and
change the settings each time but it is a pain. Is there any mail client
that lets me do this quickly and easily? Possibly even associates
replies to messages within one folder with certain defined 'accounts'.

Actually, thinking about it before I hit send, there is one that I know
of. Evolution can send any incoming or outgoing message through a script
before processing further. I suppose I could do any changes that way and
trap any messages based on destination.

If it stops thundering soon I'll go to the Worcester beer festival.

Rick