[Malvern] Freespire

Richard Forster rick at forster.uklinux.net
Sun Aug 20 23:42:49 BST 2006

Cheryl Phillips wrote:
> Never heard of this one before. Any opinions before I download it?
> Looks quite good and also has advanced wireless stuff in it which
> might help with my cable ban

Ah yes, the free version of Linspire. IIRC famed for its 'run as root'
philosophy (at least for the early versions) and single letter naming
difference from that OS by that big company in Redmond (before they had
to rename to Linspire).

Note that the freely downloadable version doesn't contain any of the
binary drivers that are specially licensed for the commercial version.
http://wiki.freespire.org/index.php/Download_Freespire

Lots of pretty screenshots on the website, if you go for that kind of thing.

Might be worth having a nose around the forums to see if your particular
wireless USB gizmo works.
http://forum.freespire.org/forumdisplay.php?f=28
For example this seems promising
http://forum.freespire.org/showthread.php?t=940

Some more background history, from the distribution pages of Linux
Weekly News (lwn.net)
http://lwn.net/Distributions/

27.  Linspire
http://www.linspire.com/
LinspireEspanol
Freespire
Linspire (once known as Lindows) was first announced in October 2001 as
LindowsOS. The distribution was renamed Linspire in April 2004 and the
company was renamed the following September. Linspire is a Debian-based
distribution targeted at non-technical Windows users and it comes in a
live CD version as well as a fully installable desktop. Version 4.5 was
released December 16, 2003. Linspire 4.5 supports English, Spanish,
French, Italian, German, and Portuguese. Linspire Five-0 was released
March 16, 2005. Linspire 5.0 V2 (5.1.427) was released April 21, 2006.
Freespire Linux OS 1.0 was released August 7, 2006.

Cheers

Rick