[Malvern] Any emacs wizards out there?

Phil Ironside phil at creativespaces.co.uk
Tue Jul 4 11:56:55 BST 2006

From: "Gary V. Vaughan" <gary at gnu.org>
To: Robin Wilson <r.t.wilson at rmplc.co.uk>
CC: Malvern LUG <malvern at mailman.lug.org.uk>
Subject: Re: [Malvern] Any emacs wizards out there?
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 11:05:07 +0100

Robin Wilson wrote:
> Hi

Hi Robin,

> Basically, I've just started using emacs, and I love it already, and
> have been configuring things just how I like them in my .emacs file.
> However, when I start emacs it tells me there is an error in the .emacs
> file and says "End of file during parsing". I've had a look in my .emacs
> file for any obvious errors, but can't find any.

This almost always means mismatched quotes or parentheses, which one can
usually find fairly quickly by putting emacs into emacs-lisp mode, and
pressing TAB to auto-indent the current line -- by moving up and down
the file in a sort of binary-search fed by whether auto-indent moves the
current line indentation to something unexpected or not.

I did that, and found:

> ;; Function keys
> (global-set-key [f1] 'manual-entry)
> (global-set-key [f2] 'info)
> (global-set-key [f3] 'repeat-complex-command)
> (global-set-key [f4] 'advertised-undo)
> (global-set-key [f5] 'compile)
> (global-set-key [f6] 'previous-error)
> (global-set-key [f7] 'next-error)
> (global-set-key [f8] 'find-file)
> (global-set-key [f9] 'save-buffer)
> (global-set-key [f10] 'buffer-list)
> (global-set-key [f11] 'compile)
> (global-set-key [f12] 'direc)
> (global-set-key [C-f1] 'comp

Missing close parenthesis     ^^^

Also, is 'comp a complete symbol?  I suspect you've accidentally cut the
end of that line off while editing the file.

HTH,
	Gary.
--
Gary V. Vaughan      ())_.  gary@{lilith.warpmail.net,gnu.org}