[Malvern] Recommendations for File Servers

Ian Pascoe ianpascoe at btinternet.com
Fri Oct 20 23:09:23 BST 2006

Hi All

Advise please.  Intending to set up a file server for use at home so that
next time I upgrade to a new OS my data doesn't disappear - not Phil's fault
and that's official!

Not sure what I need in terms of distro and software but the spec I reckon
on is:

- accessable from both Windows and Linux
- able to directly interact with both OS and server remotely
	(initially only within the home network but eventually from the web)
- no requirement to log into the server during boot up
	(hoping to be able to run without need for things like mice /
keyboards so it's jsut a box)
- suitable AV and firewall

The next question is how to connect it to the network.

I know that C had problems with connecting her PC up due to the USB wifi
card she had, so any recommendations on a Linux friendly PCI one.  I'm going
this way as it means I can move it around the house when it gets in the
domestic way.

I believe that my BT home hub has WAP / WEP on it (just got a spare one if
anyone wants one) but I understand what Rik says about such things.

The actual config of the server I'm looking at is a second hand PC with a
1.2GHz AMD processor, a 20 Gb drive for OS and initially 200 Gb for data,
DVD reader and 512Mb RAM.

I will also probably want to make this into a SMTP server too.

Phil, Chris and Stuart this is the start of what I talked about after the
Brum gig.

Cheers guys

Ian