[Malvern] Recommendations for File Servers

Andrew McKenzie a_j_mckenzie at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 22 19:39:09 BST 2006

For a file server I can not recommend freeNAS enough, you can setup Samba,
NFS, FTP, SSH etc file shares it takes about 2 miniutes to setup and is
based on BSD, the whole distro comes to about 16mb in size too! so you can
fit 4 HDD in the machine and run the server off an old 32mb usbkey.

Well worth a go.

As for a firewall I too recommend that you use Smoothwall, it is just a
pleasure to use, no fuss no hassle and it's up and running in no time, but
you will need a seperate box to run it on than the FreeNAS box.

Andy M.