[Malvern] SD Cards

Richard Forster rick at forster.uklinux.net
Mon Apr 30 22:45:48 BST 2007

Yes.
I had problems getting the later pictures off a 2GB card. I actually had
problems both with a card reader and via the camera. The camera could
always show the pictures properly by the way.
When using a card reader there were a variety of symptoms. From files
seeming to be totally corrupt, to older pictures appearing with newer
file names, to a picture only showing half the image. When trying to
export from the camera over USB it would just give an error and fail.
In the end I deleted the older pictures using the camera (select by date
is mighty handy) and found I was then able to export the newer ones to
the PC. Luckily the older pictures I'd already exported.

This was all before I reformatted the card in the camera (though not by
many minutes).
I have now found that it is even harder to read the files properly in a
card reader but I've not yet taken over a thousand pictures to test
whether the export from the camera is reliable or not, which is what
matters. Taking a mere few hundred is fine.

On the other hand...

I also have a 1GB card which has a USB connector under a neat little
flap. This has had 700+ pictures and multi-megabyte video files on it in
the past and never let me down in USB mode or camera export mode. This
has not been formatted by me at any time. Obviously the idea of using it
in a card reader is too silly to have been tried.

Both cards are Sandisk and not bought from eBay, so there are no
reliability issues from that point of view. The 2GB one really can write
at the claimed 20MB/s too.

Be careful with really high capacity cards. IIRC 2GB is the largest a
pukka SD card can be before it breaks the standard. If it's over that
size both the card and the gizmo reading it have to be SDHC.

I suppose I could stress test my 2GB card tomorrow by videoing the talks :-)

Cheers

Rick