[Malvern] Parallel computing / Hyper Cubes

Ian Pascoe ianpascoe at btinternet.com
Wed Feb 7 21:56:07 GMT 2007

Hi

Following on from Andy M and Rik's discussions last night at the GMH, I
decided to do a bit of research myself this lunch time.

Cheers Andy, almost forgot to get my lunch in the end!

Earliest reference I could find to this was back in 98 when the first PCDM,
I think the acronym was, was set up in Pensylvania State Uni, and what they
had to do to get everything working correctly.

By comparison, the Knopix and thingy (bullrush ?) set up seems to be so
simple by comparison.

>From what else I saw it seems that this type of re-use of old hardware is
BIG business in the good ol; U S of A, with any scientific lab worth it's
salt having a Linux primary based network; strangely enough they seem to
favour Linux the most on Intel x86, then Maxs, and only seem to ever use M$
for dumb (their terminology, not mine!) server applications.

Me thinks, Andy M, once people know you have a use for old PCs you will have
to move out into the garage to live and turn the house into a PC hive!

Keep us updated on your son's rendering business!

Ian