FW: [Malvern] PC PSUs

Steve Cashmore mlug at cashmore.me.uk
Thu Feb 8 10:30:53 GMT 2007

Ian Pascoe wrote:
> Steve and chris - thanks!
>
> When a PC starts up does everything get powered up at the same time, or is
> it done sequentially ?  If the latter what governs the start up regieme?

Some servers can have sequenced startup for the multiple disk drives,
but not in the general case.  I've seen drives that can have their motor
spin up delay pre-programmed.  I've seen intelligent PSUs that can
sequence their 12v motor outputs.  Some servers have multiple redundant
hot-pluggable PSUs.

> However, from what you both have said, I presume it is the former, and that
> PC designers expect the PSU to be able to cope with any peak demands on
> startup.
>
> Apart from cost, is there any reason why each component couldn't have it's
> own tailored PSU?  (I'mn thinking here of the benefits given to high end
> audio systems where each individual component in something like a CD player
> has it's own regulated power supply)

The PSU does have multiple rails however such as +12v, +5v, maintained
+5v and some offer -12v & -5v & +3.3v.  The motherboard commonly has
on-board regulators for the CPU supply derived from the 5v rail.  The
maintained +5v supply is for the 'instant' (Hah!) startup from various
sleep states feature or Wake-on-LAN.  Often subcomponents such as disk
drives and plug-in cards also have on board regulators for local supply
provision.
Individual mains powered PSUs for each component would be a price,
packaging and safety nightmare.  At least at the moment there's only one
safety insulated device and wiring to care about.

--
Steve