[Malvern] Text browsers.

Andy Dixon andy at andydixon.com
Thu Feb 8 15:37:55 GMT 2007

Geoff Bagley wrote:
> I have been looking at text browsers.
>
> I have used Lynx on and off for some time, aiming to get rid of
> eye-candy.
> Wget is new to me.
> I also think Rick once mentioned "Links" or some such,  or maybe my
> memory is faulty !

I'm using FreeBSD at the moment, and compiled links to support graphics
- so, in a 1024x768 console, I can use it like any other browser, or
without -g, can use it as text only - ideal for over SSH connections.

Links is definately better than lynx!

> My question is :  do text browsers have any forensic uses, like
> finding nasty hidden
> links to malware,  or hidden spyware ?  Many years ago, in my Windows
> days,  I once
> managed to download a virus.   I wiped the disk, and installed SuSE
> Linux !
It gets rid of everything bar the text and some basic formatting - i
personally like it - no flash or images. Great if you are looking for
something quickly that is text only.. It  ditches javascript too, but
you can enable it if you wanted.

However, some versions of links do not support ssl connections, so you
may need to compile from source as opposed to apt-getting