FW: [Malvern] Re: [OT] PC PSUs & turntables

Ian Pascoe ianpascoe at btinternet.com
Fri Feb 9 18:50:45 GMT 2007

I know that this is really continuing the drift off list but last October, I
think it was, a Danish firm launched a turntable with DC power supply but
not connectable to the mains!  You had to use a couple of car batteries to
provide the power.  Now that's what I call eccentric!

The only reason, going back on topic, I elluded to hi-fi was that it was
generally agreed that if you provided components within the same housing
their own regulated power supply, you can add minimal degredation to the
signal throughout it's path.

As has been said earlier in the trail, that is needed because of the low
data rates involved compared with normal PCs.

So if you have a blob (technical term) on an audio system that corrupts 2
data bytes, but could have been avoided with individual power supply, and
you move to a PC, the blob lasts for the same time span, but affects more
data as the stream is faster.

I suppose in essence that the PC PSU already has multiple power supplies
within it, but what I was trying to get at is if the supplies were more
automonus an external RF / HF interference couldn't cascade throughout the
entire PC.

Or have I totally mis-understood the construction of PSUs as they are now?

Sorry not very well put but trying to put down in words what seems so clear
in my head just involves so much fairy dust it's unbelieveable!

Zeth, going back to BIOS's what is EFE I think you called it?

Ian