FW: [Malvern] AOL spyware ?

Ian Pascoe ianpascoe at btinternet.com
Sun Feb 11 20:43:46 GMT 2007

Hi Rik

Could you explain, in simple terms, how this attack is made?

I'm not sure if you are saying that when a voice  connection is established
using your PSTN line, that the spyware is transmitted to that remote site by
the telephone call or by the broadband connection.

Assuming it is the former, it would have to lie outside of the normal voice
frequency range as you would hear the attack.  It could not start on the
calling person's line outside the voice frequency range as the exchange line
cards dump any frequencies outside that range before doing the A to D
conversion.  This only leave the broadband connection, and unless you are
using VoIP technology for that call, how does it find that particular IP
address amoungst the millions of others.

Tres confusment de Barnards Vert.

Ian