[Malvern] Next Meeting at Geoff's.

Andy Dixon andy at andydixon.com
Sat Feb 17 18:17:04 GMT 2007

Geoff Bagley wrote:
> Andy Dixon wrote:
>> Geoff,  I use freeBSD and highly recommend it. Do you want me to
>> bring the CDs?
> No need to bring them, I have checked the price from Linux Emporium
> and I can afford the four quid !
>
> I was, however, very pleased to get your views.
> I wonder which version you have?  Is it easy to update (if
> desirable),  and is it easy to install and manage "packets"/ports.

I have the latest - 6.2 I think....

> I wonder if it will run Free Pascal  (fpc).
it does:
cd /usr/ports/lang/fpc
make install && make clean

perhaps "pkg_add -r fpc" will work too..?

I have also installed my BSD with Linux compatibility - lets me run
stuff like WINE, etc..

> Can you use KDE/Gnome/xfce  etc ?  Does it use "bash" for CL work ?
> Please tell me all about it.

You can install gnome one of 2 ways - quickly (pkg_add -r gnome2) or
compile it from ports. Being a newbie, I used pkg_add as it was a lot
faster. You can use bash, but I think you may have to compile / pkg_add
it. It adds gdm as well so you get a graphical login - albeit you have
to add some stuff in the rc.conf. All easy peasy, and makes sense once
you get your head around it. I have a book on freeBSD I can lend you if
you wish... Dated, but relevant.

One fun thing is the use of sysinstall, and editing stuff like
/boot/loader.conf and adding 'hints', as well as /etc/rc.conf. There is
so much to learn, its really really exciting.

One thing I noticed was that it took about 1/4 of the time Linux takes
to load, whether its because I never tidied up a Linux install, but its
so fast!

> I am getting a laptop from Andrew Ballentine - I may put  FreeBSD on it.
> Do they do a decent range of "drivers"  for video systems etc. ?

Not as many as Linux, but what they do have, are rock solid - Linux has
a tendency of having alpha and beta drivers mixed in with stable stuff -
BSD reminds me more of a behemoth - rock solid and stable. My Toshiba
A60 laptop has got support for everything it needs - even does ACPI, so
will shutdown properly when I press the power button.

> I look forward to seeing you Wednesday.  I will be making pizzas in
> advance.

Looking forward to it!!