[Malvern] GRUB + Volume

Ian Pascoe ianpascoe at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 27 20:24:27 GMT 2007

Hi Guys

Simple question first.  How do I change the system volume - tried Sound from
the Preferances menu in Ubuntu - no joy there.  Tried AMIXER from the
terminal and can't see an easy option there either.  Although it does appear
to say that the volume is set to 81%.

Secondly, and the more complicated for me.

I have just noticed that the GRUB start up options has grown from 4 to 7
different options.  If I don't make a selection in the first 15 seconds or
so, the screen starts scrolling loads of text.  Sorry can't be more specific
on what text is scrolling.  The menu did appear to time out to a single
option before but could be bought back by using the up and down arrows.

I need a step by step to do something with this please - remember that it is
no use saying edit the so and so file, I need to know where to go and what
to type.  My hand needs holding!

Ian