[Malvern] Streaming.

Geoff Bagley geoff.bagley at btinternet.com
Sun Jan 14 21:36:27 GMT 2007

Keith Edmunds wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 16:26:49 +0000
> Geoff Bagley <geoff.bagley at btinternet.com> wrote:
>

>> Has anyone ever seen an ISO/OSI  seven-layer model for audio or video
>> streaming ?
>>

> The OSI stack is application independent (well, until you get to the
> top layer anyway). The type of data is irrelevant - you could stream
> audio or video using TCP, DECnet, AppleTalk, whatever... What is it
> you're trying to do?
>
> Keith

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the  response.
OK about TCP etc.  I wondered whether the packet format was compatible with
the data stream, which implies continuity.
I guess that the sampling theorem still applies.
You still need a fast enough flow of TCP packets to  sample the data flow.

I have been trying to get audio streaming of broadcasts to work on
Debian Etch.
I have had some success, but the sample rate was far too slow, and the
audio badly
distorted ( I guess by aliasing).

I also get the idea that even BBC stations don't all work with  mplayer.

Debian, and Ubuntu both offer a wide choice of assorted "players" .
I have both distros working on this machine.  Not sure which of them I
should concentrate
upon.

Of the two I would prefer Debian, but would settle for Ubuntu if there
was some major increase in ease or convenience.

Hope you are well.

Best regards,

Geoff.