FW: [Malvern] Electrical Intreference

Ian Pascoe ianpascoe at btinternet.com
Mon Jan 29 19:53:54 GMT 2007

Steve

Many thanks for such a full reply.

Ian

-----Original Message-----
From: malvern-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk
[mailto:malvern-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk]On Behalf Of Steve Cashmore
Sent: 29 January 2007 00:01
To: Malvern at mailman.lug.org.uk
Subject: Re: [Malvern] Electrical Intreference

Hi Ian,

The symmetry of the filtering is a function of the particular filter
circuit design.  Naturally it is important that it doesn't unnecessarily
attenuate the side where the data communications equipment lies.  Thus
it typically presents a high impedance (primarily inductive) at RF
frequencies to the household side, and a low impedance on the other side
to mop up whatever remains.  A smarter filter would present a high
impedance at RF on both sides so as not to attenuate any power company
signalling equipment.  To my knowledge the UK utilities aren't yet
commonly using such signalling to domestic services.  Italy however has
rolled out a large system to provide automatic remote meter reading
using mains borne signalling.  I believe the new meters have built in
filtering to prevent customer equipment from attenuating or interfering
with the signalling system.

To answer your question more directly for your friend, there is still
quite a strong RF attenuation in the 'wrong' direction even if the
design is rather asymmetric.  Unless the filter is really pathetic I
would be surprised if significant amounts of conducted RF made it
through.  There could however be other poor building wiring and earthing
practice that might partially bypass the filter.  Or equipment may be
overly susceptible by reason of poor design.  There are well established
legal emission and susceptibility levels with which all equipment sold
within the EU must comply.  If you have an interference problem there
are supposed to be channels through which you can apply for help, but I
have no knowledge of how they work or how effective they are.  A little
Googling should find the info.

It's not trivial to get a decent RF signal level on household mains
wiring.  Until very recently the typical design of switch-mode power
supplies in PCs, compact fluorescent bulbs etc used low RF impedance
capacitors directly across the mains and from each leg to ground to
reduce emitted switching noise.  This has the secondary effect of
attenuating any existing RF data modulation.  The need to comply with
current EU power factor and distortion legislation has helped alleviate
this type of design practice.  But there are legions of stories in the
USA of folks with remote control equipment that fails when certain other
equipment is attached to the mains.  Wall wart type mains filters are
available to try and reduce the attenuation caused by such equipment.

best regards,
--
Steve