[Malvern] Plug and Play

Chris Eilbeck chris at hyperspace.org.uk
Thu Mar 15 22:00:45 GMT 2007

On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 09:53:28PM -0000, Ian Pascoe wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> Two questions regarding preipherals.
>
> After you've installed your Distro - in my case Ubuntu - and you want to
> add an extra USB device, say a SD card reader to get your digi pics, where
> do you get the driver from or is it generally speaking in-built?

A card reader will just work.  It'll probably even automount and dismount
for you when you insert the cards too.

> What about stuff that doesn't use the USB?

It depends what it is and what drivers your distro supports by default.  If
it isn't supported by the kernel your distro installs but it is supported by
the main kernel source, you're into the territory of compiling your own
kernel.

Chris Eilbeck
Tripoli UK Member #9527                                          LSMR