[Malvern] Multi Core Processors

Ian Pascoe ianpascoe at btinternet.com
Mon Nov 12 12:00:01 GMT 2007

Hi

I'm going round in ever decreasing circles!  Can someone please put me
straight ....

How many sockets, on a motherboard, do multi-core processors require?  I
originally thought that each processor, no matter how many cores, only
required the one socket, and if the motherboard had another CPU socket
spare, you could install a duplicate of the existing one thereby doubling
your CPU.  However, now I'm not too sure as some multi core processors
appear to need dual sockets on the motherboard - most notably Intel's Quad.
On the other hand I could have this totally rear end facing forward ....
help!

Ian